The Lean Leader training program — an overview
The LEAN Rt's Lean Leader Training Program has been designed to provide frontline leaders and specialist support staff with the skills and knowledge they need to sustainably implement Lean systems and practices.
This leadership development program is unique — its cluster delivery strengthens individual skills and knowledge, encourages the use of Lean systems and tools, develops group communication and resourcefullness. Trainees learn how to implement change and facilitate continuous improvement in the real business environment.
With ten full day training sessions spreading over 20 weeks, your participants will become Lean Champions who understand what they need to do to support the sustainable implementation of Lean Management in your business.
Participants will learn skill sets and tools they need to drive continuous improvement. When they have demonstrated those skills, they will graduate with the nationally recognised Certificate IV in Competitive Systems and Practices Qualification.
Unique benefits of the program
- Onsite program delivery is the best possible classroom and environment for shared learning. Course duration is ten sessions delivered over 20 weeks.
- Nationally Recognised Qualification means that participants who complete the program are awarded a Certificate IV in Competitive Systems and Practices.
- Action Learning Projects translate theory into applied knowledge and skills. Participants will go through Action Learning Projects designed to improve team communication, improve 5S and resolve or improve other key priorities.
- Trainees from a number of different companies.
- One to four participants per company.
- Site visits and leadership talks to deepen understanding of Lean business improvement.
- Mixture of business types and participant roles to develop understand of other roles in the value stream.
- Action Learning Projects to develop skills and knowledge.
For which leadership roles?
The Lean Leader course is suitable for people in any leadership role responsible for supporting process improvement and change within an organisation.
Managers (Production, Quality, Maintenance, Logistics, Office, etc.)
- Team Leaders
- Continuous Improvement Specialists
- Project Leaders
- Office Managers
- Leading Hands (being developed for a team leader roles)
Site visits re-enforce the message being delivered and provide a sound basis for realistic discussions on techniques that do and do not work for organisations.
— Belinda Pownall, Lean Leader Graduate and Technical Manager, Murray Goulburn
Have enjoyed how the course has been broken up with practical exercises and seeing how other businesses operate and share ideas.
— Mathew Kelm, Lean Leader Graduate and Maintenance Manager Amcor Cartons
I thought it was a great course with just the right balance of practical and theoretical, combined with site visits.
— Lester Gilmore. Lean Leader Graduate and Continuous Improvement Leader, HJ Heinz
Curriculum — an overview
- Improving leadership skills and strategies to engage teams in change such as Visual Performance Management and lean KPIs
- Training ability to lead the implementation of 5S, Structured Problem Solving and Mistake Proofing
- Training in Kaizen and Kaizen Blitz facilitation
- Focus on standardising and Sustaining Improvement
- Shared learning between trainees
- Expert facilitation by experienced training team
- Mentor relationship established within your business with a mentor for each trainee
* This qualification is delivered in partnership with SELMAR Holdings Pty Ltd Provider number 121531. This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.
** Federal Funding may also be available. It is state funded fee, subject to change, so plese contact us for the latest updates and more info.
Pre-Work — Self Assessments
Course Knowledge and mandatory language, literacy and Numeracy.
Implementing Competitive Systems and Practices
MSS403001A — Implement competitive systems and practices
MSS403011A — Facilitate implementation of competitive systems and practices, or
MSS403006A — Facilitate implementation of competitive systems and practices in an office
MSS403010A — Facilitate change in an organisation implementing competitive systems and practices
5S and the Visual Workplace
MSS403040A — Facilitate and improve implementation of 5S, or
MSS403039A — Facilitate and improve 5S in an office.
Improve Cost Factors
MSS403030A — Improve cost factors in work practices.
Structured Problem Solving
MSAPMSUP390A — Use structured problem solving tools.
Environmentally Sustainable Work Practices
MSAENV472B — Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
MSS403051A — Mistake proof an operational process.
MSS403042A — Facilitate mistake proofing in an office.
MSS403041A — Facilitate breakthrough improvements, or
MSS403043A — Facilitate breakthrough improvements in an office.
MSS403002A — Ensure process improvements are sustained.
MSS403044A — Facilitate continuous improvement through the use of standardised procedures and practices.
Make a Presentation
BSBCMM401A — Make a Presentation.
To embark on a Lean Leader training program, there are no special pre-requisite qualifications.
Participants should be in a leadership role, or be an influencer who can take a leadership role in their Action Learning Projects.
Industry application and outcomes
- Manufacturing enterprises
- Mining and service organisations
- Office environments
- Distributors, warehouses, transport suppliers and other logistics support organisations
- Professional service suppliers e.g legal, engineering, accounting, auditing
- Any other organisation implementing competitive systems and practices e.g. Government departments, healthcare providers, transport organisations etc.
Build a sustainable business improvement culture
Professional development for your people
Tangible, quantifiable business results
Nationally Recognised Training Certificate
Trainers: Chris Tinsley
The course trainer, Chris Tinsley, has 14 years global experience with Toyota Motor Company and 5 years as a consultant, Kaizen Specialist and trainer. Trainees will benefit from his deep understanding of the Toyota Way and practical experience of applying the principles in companies as diverse as logistics, rail, manufacturing and healthcare.
Contact our team today for more information.